Monday, May 25, 2015

Hartford 7th Assembly District


Hartford 7th District

Dear: Neighbor,
State Rep. Douglass Mc Crory is a fraud: we grew up in the same city, in different districts. Doug you have not done your best when Hartford residents reach out to you about issues that are important to them. The words you say can influence others to take action on particular missions and projects. My mission is to hold you accountable.

“It has always been my belief that a good education is essential for the future success of our children, we as a legislature; need to make sure that every child in Connecticut us receiving a first class education at the public school level. I think after school programs are almost, if not equally, as important as being in school as the reinforce lessons learned, encourage self- esteem, and afford another option to going down the wrong path in life."State Rep. D. McCrory Feb 2014 .”(North End Agent article Yale or Jail )

For State Rep. Douglas McCrory, giving back has always been a top priority. Elected as the Democratic candidate for Hartford's 7th Assembly District in 2004, Doug promised accountability and accessibility. Doug has been an educator for over 20 years. Beginning as a teacher at Sarah J. Rawson Elementary School, he has also taught at and served as vice principal at Lewis Fox Middle School. McCrory also served as a vice principal at Weaver high School.

February was Black History Month and the beginning of the Connecticut’s 2015 Legislative Session.  With this in mind I would like to remind State Rep. Douglass Mc Crory that there are two issues that he has always addressed and claims that he will continue to fight for until the system is equal for everyone. Many of you have heard repeated conversations regarding State Rep. Douglass Mc Crory belief that he fights for education and justice: Yale or Jail? “Most of our kids won’t be going to Yale, but that shouldn’t mean that their only option is jail.” State Rep D. McCrory March 2014


Pair this information with the fact that When Mr. McCrory was the principle at Weaver High School in Hartford, Connecticut. He gave my sixteen year old son permission to leave school at ten a.m. on a daily basis. He allowed my son to roam the streets of Hartford every day without parental consent. State Rep. McCrory you will find that these issues are very much connected.

 “It is too easy to be led astray when people at such an impressionable age simply have nothing to do and nowhere to go” said State Rep McCrory March 2014. Let me remind you to think before you speak, you coached my son when he participated in the North End Little League; became his vice principle and mentor when he attended Lewis Fox Middle, then you had the privilege to be his vice principle when he attended Weaver high school.  

If you were so concerned with providing quality education to youth, how then did you fail my son? How could you grant permission that was not yours to give? You never notified me that you gave my son permission to wander the streets of Hartford, you gave him access to drug dealers you helped him to sell drugs. Did you listen when I told you that I was the best person when it comes to making decisions in the best interest of my son? The incarceration of my teenage son has weighed heavily on my family.

I met with you several times at Weaver High School to discuss my child and why you felt it was necessary to give him permission to leave school without my consent. I expected you to educate my son; you did not do what you said you would do. Nor did you apologize, or acknowledge that you made a mistake, nor did you try to rectify it. Instead you resigned and ran for State representative.

 My evidence is located in the record books at Weaver High School, the mere fact that you hid the mistake, lets me know that your credibility is eroded. Honest people admit mistakes; your mistake could have promoted learning, which could have prevented me from holding you accountable in a public forum. When someone provides you with poor service, what do you expect? Mr. McCrory I am not afraid to speak out, I hope my words inspire people of color to not vote for you in the next election. You are not one of the talented ten. You have done my family and injustice.

Look, I don’t know everything Mr. McCrory: I am a public servant just like you. My job is to hold CEOs of color accountable for their actions in the community. If your leadership is viewed as a service then you should hold yourself accountable to the same standards that you claim to have confidence in; your mistake has cause inconvenience, loss and injury to my family. I want you to know that I am serious about this and I will do my best to live up to our collective beliefs.

Mr. McCrory you stated that “ Currently, in the city of Hartford there are over 3,000 residents incarcerated as we speak, which is enough people to fill First Cathedral Church. Think about the impact that has on their families, community, city and state.” State Rep. D. McCrory were you aware that my son was the youngest person to be sent to federal prison in the state of Connecticut. Had you not given him permission to leave school every day, he would have graduated from Weaver High School. Instead he earned his high school diploma while incarcerated. Yale or Jail?

There has never been a time in the history of Hartford that one group of people has not dominated, suppressed or persecuted another. If I don’t show you dedication, then judge me based on the metaphor, we tend to give people “three strikes and you’re out” The first time you made a mistake, I said “he still learning.” The second time, I said maybe “he’s a slow learner”. The third time, I said “He’ll never learn” and that is where I will not allow you to do that at in the City of Hartford. 

Martha Hood PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Belly of the Beast

Can you hear it” The stench of homicide and poverty is calling to be recognized among Black and Latino families of color in every urba...

C.S.I Hartford, Connecticut