Saturday, May 23, 2015

Welcome to the 5th District Hunger Games


Welcome to the 5th District Hunger Games


 
Two powerful motivations inspired me to host the Chappelle Gardens hunger games. The first inspiration came during my fight for fair housing rights concerning families with children residing in Chappelle Gardens. The last five summers I have worked as a community outreach worker in North Hartford, I had the opportunity to work with kids aged six to sixteen.

The children and I would have fun together, especially when I taught them games I used to play around my neighborhood. You would not believe the blank stares of bewilderment that gazed upon me as I mentioned picking the it: Eeny, Meeny, Miny, and Moe? Kick the Can; Steal the bacon this was too much for me to handle. Why? I will come to that shortly.

The second inspiration came to me while I was volunteering with the organization Hartford Community Leaders. In the back of my mind, I had always noticed what seemed to be an increase in homicide and youth on youth killing in impoverished neighborhoods in North Hartford. As I researched the correlation between poverty and homicide, I was amazed at how bad the problem really has become. I will not bore you with lengthy facts and details, but childhood homicide has reached an epidemic proportion in North Hartford. The adverse effects of homicide and impoverished neighborhoods are too strong to ignore. The combination of this dilemma and children’s unawareness of these outdoor games felt like a smack in the face.

I grew up in Chappelle Gardens a neighborhood that I love tremendously. Every night after dinner, and often during the day, kids from all over the neighborhood would come out and gather near my house. If kids did not meet, we would go out and find anyone and everyone. Each time we would all organize a large game for everyone to play. It was just not the games, but the getting together with friends, making new friends, exercising, being outside, and doing fun activities made the process so enjoyable.  This is why no one could stay away.

The more I thought about how much fun I used to have, the more amazed I was that many kids residing in Chappelle Gardens and in other neighborhoods weren’t enjoying these activities. When I look back upon growing up, these games are a large part of my memories.  This is what childhood is all about. Learning and playing games is great for kids in more ways than you can imagine.

This is what childhood is all about, Welcome to the Chappelle Gardens Hunger Games.

v  I encourage parents to go find kids and encourage them to come outside and play.

v  Kids can meet one another, make friends, get exercise, and have tons of fun.

v  More and more parents and children from the neighbor hood will get involved.

v  Everyone will get begin looking forward to playing and meeting more often

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Belly of the Beast

Can you hear it” The stench of homicide and poverty is calling to be recognized among Black and Latino families of color in every urba...

C.S.I Hartford, Connecticut